Newbie Here....signed up at GASS

2»

Comments

• edited August 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    Welcome Kris and good luck with your endeavours.

I agree with you that they should issue a set of stamps for Neil Armstrong.

I have a story for you about a signed Fleetwood 1969 First Men on the Moon Apollo 11 First Day Cover. These are quite common covers but this one had a genuine Neil Armstrong signature on it! The cover came form a mixed lot of 3 albums of signed covers that I purchased at a bricks & mortar auction house with the purchase price of each signed cover coming in at around £1.00 including commission.

This was in late 2018 and I listed this cover on eBay for £850.00 and it sold within 2 days. I was very happy indeed - a very good return I thought? However a few months later I saw my signed first day cover again for sale but this time the sale price was over £2000.00?...............and it sold.

I had made a fundamental error - I listed it for sale in late 2018 but 2019 was THE FIFTY YEARS ANNIVERSARY OF THE MOON LANDING & WALK!!!!!!! and my Neil Armstrong signed FDC was even more sought after and sold for more!. I did not know whether to laugh or cry?

So the moral of this story (which might be of use to you?) is "research,research and research" before you list anything.

Have a great day!........................Tania

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/stampsfirst-day-covers-and-curios
  • Well, if I had a signed Neil Armstrong cover, I wouldn't be able to sell it
  • I was looking at it purely from a business point of view. In hindsight - you are right - I should have kept it.
  • You do have some nice British covers in your store. I'll probably be ordering a few.
  • edited August 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    Research, research.....Back in my previous life as an antiques dealer, I came across a US Navy discharge document for a seaman on the USS Utah from the mid 1920s. Didn't pay much for it, sold it for
    not much either. I thought it neat that it was signed by a Capt. Kidd, executive officer. Good for a laugh. Later I learned that it was the same Admiral Kidd that died on the bridge of the USS Arizona. Research...
  • Interesting Phil...

I actually knew a guy who served in the destroyer USS Kidd, so I know Capt. Kidd's story.
  • IMG_20210824_152728_kindlephoto-295466246

So I just received my Hipstamp purchase and the cover had a San Clemente Island Goat. Wasn't Nixon from San Celemente?
    And I didn't know they made Additional Ounce stamps. I'll have to see if my local post mistress has those before next week.

And just for the record....

Yes, I did accuse Anna from Hipstamp of following me on to the O'Hare shuttle. From my perspective it was a perfectly valid interrogatory.
    And I made my saving throw...with help from George.
  • Richard Nixon was from Yorba Linda , went to Whittier HS in Southern California. He had a vacation home in San Clemente. But he was not from San Clemente.
  • You don't need to rush out to buy Additional Ounce stamps before Sunday's Rate Change -- the rate for additional ounces remains at 20¢

And don't settle for that weird Uncle Sam design - ask for BRUSH RABBITS! :smiley:

Brush Rabbit
  • There aren't as many rabbits round these here parts as there used to be.