Member Story Tellers at Hip Stamps

13»

Comments

• There is a great write up by Tim Hodge in Linn's Stamp News on October 16, 2017 with the title "Airmail rarities take flight in Cherrystone sale. He mentions the Harry Hawker pilot and Kenneth Mackenzie Grieve navigator flight in 1919 in a single engine Sopwith Atlantic biplane. After a controlled landing in the Atlantic they were rescued by a passing Danish Merchant ship and five days later a Britain bound US ship recovered the mail bag and delivered it to England. See Newfoundland #C1 for some philatelic details. Years ago in my store on Victoria St. in Toronto the son of London to London pilot Captain Terrence B. Tully showed up with material related to that flight in 1927. Tully and his navigator Lieutenant James Metcalf were not as lucky as Hawker and his navigator and both disappeared in the choppy Atlantic along with the mail never to be found. Today one cover, never flown, exists - USC Cat. Value $100,000. Of the 100 copies of stamp USC #CLP6 exist - cat. value CDN. $50,000. each. Now back to the story - I spent quite a bit of time talking to the son of the pilot. He had brought what was left in his father's archives and was asking a reasonable amount for the items. No stamps (his mother) the widow had been given a mint block of four but left it in her room at a hotel while she went out to supper. A thief entered and took the block, which is four singles now, and part of the 13 known on the market. However, after I bought the lot and examined it I found photos of planes Capt. Tully had flown as a test pilot for Avro; also his pencil written notes calculating fuel etc. for the flight ; a number of post cards unused, issued at the time and commemorating the flight. I talked these over with Major Mallot who once ran our War Museum in Ottawa and who is a collector. He advised me to sell them at about $500. each at that time. There were other interesting items in the lot. The flight took place 90 years ago but it shows how far we have advanced in flight over those years. Capt. Tully was a first world war fighter pilot and the son told me that his sister had thrown his uniform in the garbage. We have a fascinating hobby that can put us in touch with many aspects of history and heroism.
  • To end the year on a great philatelic note we (My wife Jean and I) accepted the kind invitation of Katherine Hartley, Reference Librarian to a pre New Year Levee at the Vincent Graves Greene Philatelic Research Foundation at 10 Summerhill Avenue, Toronto, Ont., Canada M4T 1A8. The gathering included many stamp collectors from Toronto and elsewhere and offered a great opportunity for many old friends to exchange New Years greetings. Included in the day at this event we were treated to a book sale of numerous philatelic publications and literature for the price of a donation of your choice. Also a great film produced by one of the Cwiakala family (Charles Cwiakala is a well known Auction agents with office in Chicago.). Katharine says she bought the film for $12. I think it is called "Freaks and Errors" but tells the history of the unique British Guiana 1c magenta which last sold, within the past few years, for over US$9 Million dollars. One of the Duponts was the previous owner but when he murdered the weight lifter he spent his last few years in Jail. The film also shows leading dealers and collectors and some of the history of rare items such as the USA Jenny invert.
    Visiting collectors from around the world can visit this VG Greene Foundation location but you are advised to phone 416-921-2073 or E-Mail first at library@greenefoundation.ca - The best days to visit are Tuesday to Thursday. I am sure
    further information on the film could be learned from Charles Cwiakala. The Foundation graciously provided a great range of snacks, soft drinks and wine and even Irish Cream for this wonderful event. They have a great philatelic library there. John Talman
  • A few more facts on the film mentioned above - Produced by Mark Cwiakala - It is a feature length documentary about postage stamps & collectors and the life long quest for the obscure. Called "Freaks and Errors - A Rare Collection" it kept the attention of everyone in the room where we watched it. Every Stamp Club if not every serious collector should have a copy. I understand that 83 sponsors may have contributed US$17,000. for its production. Well worth a look or even many more looks.
This discussion has been closed.