Massive collection I just acquired

Hello everyone

I was able purchase a very large collection today from family in a small town here in Texas 23 binders from all over the world ! About 50-60% are catalogued and still hinged ! Several mint sheet from Japan and other countries! There are several US stamps that have decent value ! I’m overwhelmed on how to tackle this beast ! I know you eat an elephant one bite at a time but I don’t think I will survive the time it will take! All the values or most of them were from the Scott catalog 1965-1974 ! There’s 100s of approvals 100s of envelopes filled and 12 card catalogs file drawers full ! I thinking about auctioning bulk losing by country and highlighting the key stamps in each lot? Any ideas ! I need to get the. Listed and organized! Looking for some ideas or best practices

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I know it is not the most useful advice. But the bulk of what is most likely ( based on what we can see) ordinary material. I would start to educate yourself as to what has actual value. Look for those. Sell the rest in bulk.
  • I'll echo Bob - Look for the key values. I'll use Canada as an exmaple. When I go to look at a collection I'll look for the 1897 Victoria Jubilee issue higher values. Does it have the first Canadian stamps?, ie 3 d Beaver. I'll look at the George V issues to see if the sets are complete and in what condition.
    For most countries there are key sets annd stamps. If they are there you have something. If they are nor, or are in mixed condition, them selling things in Bulk is probably the way to sell.
  • edited March 2023 1 LikesVote Down
    I agree with Bob and Dennis. A lot of work to go through and a lot of time to do it. Time is money wasted.
    What you have shown is very common and the columbians are fillers.
  • That is what I’m going to do ! There’s are several Canadian stamps And sets