The Book

2»

Comments

• Ahhh... DOS for Dummies.
    You know there are now around 340 different "Dummies" books. Officially, that title is out. The series is a "brand", and you can't use that title.
  • Well, that's a bummer! LOL, it was just a play thing anyway!
  • Scott....surely you know I was joshing.
  • Of course John. I take all the pokes in stride. :)
  • edited February 2023 5 LikesVote Down
    Scott, I for one , am sorry that you had all that name calling directed towards you in another thread. You are a direct, straight shooting kind of guy. I appreciate that as do many others here. You are a meticulous fellow. Thank you for ALL the help you have given complete strangers on this forum. You're a great amigo!
  • Rene, thanks, but not required. I have extremely thick skin.
    In our world of ephemera, I will neither remember nor care to remember them when they are gone.
  • Collectors,
    I go back to Scott’s wonderful statement: “My aim is to finish it [The Book] by the end of this year (2023).
    If anybody has a good idea for a title, I'm still struggling with that.” This book is important, and it will be lasting.

Here is another thought for the title—I actually was thinking about a Guide Star when I recalled the term Vade Mecum

Identification and Authentication of US Stamps: The Vade Mecum

See: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vade mecum
    Best
    Berrien
  • By Scott's description, it sounds more like a gravibus libri.
  • Well I just leaned a new term...and I like it! Vade Mecum....
  • just my idea ( for fun not for book title ) nostis US notat
  • Wow... Latin.
    I'm with you there Rene, I had to look up Vade Mecum as well, but wow, I have to say Berrien is nail on head for intention. There are legs in there somewhere for sure, and I think they would also align with how Bill viewed our work.
  • Note the Webster hyperlink and the mention of the study of Jefferson. The shoe fits, I think
    Best
    Berrien
  • Berrien,
    Nice. I had read the full definition, but I missed that usage and the Jefferson reference. Spectacular.
  • The Book of Stamps: A Vade Mecum for the Identification and Authentication of United States Postage
  • Maybe not Postage since Scott plans to include revenues etc--
  • I knew that would come up :smiley:
    but repeating the word Stamps would not be in good form, from an editorial standpoint; the subtitle expands on the main title, so you wouldn’t use a word to expound on that same word.
  • Yeah, I struggle with that term as well. "Postage" brings a certain image to mind, particularly to "non-collectors", but who could be if the right inspiration were to appear. I wonder how many lawsuits would be filled against me if I called it "SCOTT Vade Mecum of Expertizing United States Stamps and Covers" ><

• Given a Sidney, Ohio company's past history with lawsuits I think the word SCOTT would have half the lawyers in Ohio chasing you . They went ballistic when a Canadian album publisher tried to use "standard" numbers in his albums some years ago.
  • Ever since I read where Coors brewing sued Robert Corr Beverages (which existed long before the beer brand) and won, nothing would surprise me.
  • To save on legal expenses , I suggest:
    "The Vade Mecum of Expertizing United States Stamps and Covers"
  • Scott's Big Book of Stamps...
  • Avoid the potential legal issues: Scottie’s Big Book of Stamps
  • The Definitive Guide to United States Stamps: How to Identify Genuine and Fake