Shinny Gum or Dull Gum

Can one determine what type gum on a used stamp? I have a pair in my store that Paul Cook identified as 1617a. I was just asked if it is shinny gum and don't know how to answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ummm...is the gum shiny or is it not shiny? I checked your store (17 copies of 1617a listed) and with no back scans...I couldn't tell.
  • edited February 2023 0 LikesVote Down
    Here's the pair being questioned. 11c
  • Ok...well I'm pretty sure that this pair is the one you have listed here (https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/1617a-used-pre-canseled-city-contemplation-of-justice/43856128). I am no expert on these matters but having said that, you have this pair listed as USED. If it's been "licked and sticked" and likely soaked off piece, how would anyone know if it is shiny gum or dull gum? The gum is gone if it is indeed postally used. Maybe someone out there can tell the difference between shiny and dull on a used item with knowledge I do not have.
  • That was my dilemma too. No gum, so I can't tell, but potential buyer wanted answer and I was hoping someone could help. Thanks Greg for your comments. Maybe we can both learn something from someone else.
  • Maybe so. There might be a way to tell (a microscope maybe can see some residual shiny gum). But my honest response to the customer might be something like..."it is a used pair...the gum is no longer present and could be quite difficult to tell if it was originally shiny or dull gum. It has been licked and sticked and soaked off the piece. Possibly, an expert in these matters would be able to tell but I am not that person."
  • I had planned to reply with something like that, but thought I would pose the question first in case there was a way to do it. I will wait until AM to respond, to allow someone else to chime in.
  • The only possibility to determine gum type after being used is if there is some remnant of the gum on the stamp. However, that's a little bit of a moot point because the purpose of identifying the gum type is for unused stamps only.

Now, the 1617a isn't an "a" subvariety due to it's gum, rather it is an "a" subvariety due to the absence of tagging. Check this under a UV light, and determine if tagging was omitted. No need to determine gum type here. (Likewise, just because it has shiny gum, does not mean it's untagged...)
  • There he is! I guess that was kind of my point...a moot one if it is used. And true as well that the 1617a is not because of gum..it is the untagged variety. Scott does note that the "Values for 1617a and 1617b are for stamps with dull gum. These varieties with shiny gum are worth considerably more."
  • Oh Great Lord, I am SO glad I don't collect US stamps......
  • Or Great Britain I would think. LOL!
  • "Expertizing the Postage Stamps of Great Britain: 103 Reasons Why Your Stamp Rots"
  • Also, can you show front of the stamp?
    If it's not a bureau pre-cancel then it's not a shiny gum type either.
  • Scott, the link provided by Greg is the pair being questioned. It has been soaked and I can't identify any gum. My first thought was that is would be shinny gum because it is a pre-cancel, but when I also saw values for dull gum listed in mint column, I posted the question.