New Rule!!!

Bentley (the Lazy Cat) and I have been toying with this new store policy for some time now and in fact have already begun implementing it. He has convinced me it is time to pull the trigger on it officially and lead by example. Going forward, The Bentley Collection (https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-bentley-collection) will commit to providing back scans of all items listed in the store with the singular exception of minimum catalog value items. We try to not list many of those anyway. While there may be some “legacy” listings still present from a long time ago, everything newly listed going forward will apply to this store policy. All scans are 400 to 600 dpi high resolution images with no overlapping stamps so that the customer can clearly see all aspects of each item whether singles, sets, or covers. We owe this to the customer even it takes little more time. After all, I wouldn’t expect a customer to be very understanding if they walked into my store and ask to examine the back of a stamp only to be told…no. It is time well spent we think.

Greg (and Bentley, the Lazy Cat)

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We also don't do back scans of transparent (onionskin/goldbeaters) items.
  • I have been doing all sides scans or photos for many years.
  • Good for you Bill. Few do though.
  • It is like you said a buyer has to see exactly what he is getting. Like you said when I had my store and did bourses on a regular basis I always let the customer inspect the item so when you are online you have to give them the complete deal.
  • I have been doing this for quite some time but I wanted to put it in as an official store policy.
  • edited January 2023 0 LikesVote Down
    I started rear scans mid 2022 or so. It just makes sense, especially with mint and unused stamps, The only time I don't is for mixed lots, which are usually bargained priced anyway. If I have my buyer hat on, I stay away from mint/unused stamps that don't show rear pics. AS a seller, I have seen how much you learn about trying tp price a stamp from it's rear condition ( something I learned in my teens in areas other than stamp collecting). Also, based upon some comments
    from folks on this site, I have started enclosing an invoice copy on orders of $5 or more. I don't

do all orders as I use smaller envelopes and I scissor cut the invoice copy to fit.
  • Given the nature and use of onionskin/goldbeaters, Scott's position makes sense.
    I applaud the scanning of the reverse side. I have been sadly surprised to find unmentioned writing and/or gum skips on the reverse side. There is also the issue highly aged gum, which often is not mentioned. There is even the other issue of "stock photos," which are useless.
  • I regularly scan both sides of stamps that lean towards a higher catalogue value but also sell many low value stamps where it simply isn't worth scanning the backs from a time/return perspective. In these instances, I try to be very precise in my descriptions but also add that scans of the backs are gladly provided upon request. This way I save time and the buyer always has the option to see the backs if desired.
  • Thanks to all those who are incorporating rear scans of stamps. It helps folks like me considerably when deciding which to purchase. Only trouble is whilst checking and comparing I wind up buying more LOL.
  • More is merrier Tobias!
  • Sounds like a good policy Greg. I wish that back scans were a policy for ALL postcards on HS. For a number of years now I have been acquiring examples of every type of pre 1925 Florida machine cancel. Most of the early 20th century can be found on postcards. I probably would have bought several dozen more postcards from HS sellers if they had just taken the time to scan the back.
  • Unfortunately, the auctions of Rosenberg-Philatelics almost never post a san of the back even when requested. This can be very problematic; for instance, it the operational definition on MLH---it can vary!!!
  • Shouldn't even be described as Mint if is hinged at all in my opinion but is and has been the topic of a different dissuasion.
  • damn another of my typos
    "for instance, it" should be "for instance, in"
    apologies
  • It's ok, I'm not sure what I meant by a "different dissuasion". LOL!
  • If your not sure, then surely I am not sure
  • And don't call me shirley.
  • shirley not for sure