Am I wrong, part 2

If you read my other post, you know I feel cheated by Hipstamp. This was the analogy I made to Mark. If you pick an item up off the shelf at Target or Walmart that you think is a bargain, but it rings up at a higher price at the register and it turns out that it was moved under a lower priced sign, or a price sticker was switched, you have to pay what it rings up as. But if the item rings up at a lower price than intended because the store programmed in the wrong price, they have to sell it to you for that price. There are laws governing these things. My contention is, the items were placed for sale, I bid on them, following the rules in place, and won. I should be allowed to pay for them. Agree or disagree?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited January 2023 1 LikesVote Down
    If seeler issue, yes. If HS pulled the trigger early on something, it's a difficult one. No reserve auctions are different to your Target analogy, as auctions are not the same rules as retail. It's not fair to the seller if the site makes a mistake. It's equally not fair to the buyer. But this is not a retail situation. Now if it was a store item a sellerl had listed, that's a different matter.
    Your outrage at Hips mistake is justified (in that they should not have listed those items in that event).
    Your outrage at but getting those items for 1c or whatever it was, is not fair to the seller, which is not Hipsamp.
  • I try not to focus on problems, but rather on solutions. A mistake happened, move on. Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy. That's my way of thinking.
  • I agree with the two responses FWIW, especially that the comparison to a retail sale is inapt. A similar thing happened to me—an auction that looked too good to be true, but I bid anyway, figuring I had nothing to lose, and won. It was too good to be try, and the seller couldn’t figure out what happened, was very apologetic, and canceled the sale. Shit happens. Move down, clean cup.
  • Happened to me when I bought US Airmail C-1 through C-6 on no reserve auction. I won paid and then the silent treatment began. two weeks no update. I reached out to seller no response. Contacted HIP "Let us know what happens" Seller never responded but did refund the money. Then relisted the exact same items at a higher fixed price.
    That is unethical behavior. I have ran my retail business on Ebay, Guns Int'l and Gun Broker. If an item sold I shipped it loss or not. Sometimes you just have to eat it. I simply choose to share the name of the seller with my felow club members and anyone who asks.
  • edited January 2023 0 LikesVote Down
    I have been selling on line since 1985, on chat boards no less, then Yahoo, Amazon, my own web site, and of course eBay and now on eBid and Hip. Anytime I sold an item and was paid I shipped no matter what my cost. When you sell an item and get paid it is a contract. When you do not ship what was advertised it is a breach of contract pure and simple.
    It is a shame that the owner of Hip did not honor his contract and it is also a shame that any other seller does the same.
    Completely disgusting.

I also for years, more than I like to admit to LoL, have shown the front and back of an item so the customer knows what they are getting and On all sites that I have sold on I have 100% positive feedback.
  • Bill that's how I did and like to do business. I pretty much refuse to bid or buy anything that says hinged if they don't include a back photo.