Catalog Check

Can someone please check a relatively current catalog for me? I need a value for Switzerland B69-72 used. I've checked sets on sale here and I get two very different answers. Thanks for your time...

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited October 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    2022 Catalogue: B69 $2.40; B70 $1.55 and B71 $2.40

Forgot B72 $16.00

All four $22.35
  • Many thanks, Luree. Grazie mille.
  • For Collectors here new to, and interested in Used Swiss/Liechtenstein & many European stamps the Quality of the Cancel is a big factor in establishing 'Market Value' The Chart below is an excellent Guide. I hope it is helpful. Cancel-1
    Cancel-2
    Cancel-3
  • Dan, thanks much for this information. My main experience with used L-stein is frankly from stamps soaked from FDCs. But my Swiss are another matter. I have a fairly good collection of Swiss semi-postal sets from the start until the early 1950s. For most of these years, Scott gives a higher value for used sets than for mint. Of course they need to be contemporanimous, and getting a date in the cancel has always been my mark for that.

I'd like to know how experienced dealers judge Swiss semis when they buy them. How do they judge the look of the cancellation if a date is not readily apparent. I've always thought these semis were only valid for a year after issue. Is that true?
    And now I have this new rabbit hole to jump down: the quality of the cancellation. Oy-veh...
  • Hi Phil, You are most welcome. Swiss semis did loose validity after 1 year.. Swiss catalogs (both Zumstein & the SBK) lists in Swiss-German the 'Gultigkeitsdauer' or last day of Validity.
    My take is a used stamp would be frowned upon if no readable date, at least partial.. same for the city/town of origin. Another Rabbit Hole for you are Used Blocks of Four.. Swiss catalogs list them & they are much sought after. Below Phil (& all interested) is a used Block of 4 with a nice central CDS. The 1934 Pro-Juventute issue. Also the listing from the Swiss Catalog. You can see that Used Blocks are priced, both per stamp & a set price. Notice the 'Valid til' date underlined. Notice too Phil, as you spoke about the Used price is higher than the Mint/NH price (**) Notice the Premium for a block compared to Four singles. Much for a collector Dealer/Buyer to learn. Please allow me too..One piece of Eye-Candy the 1918 set of two on Cover..SP-2
    SP
    SP-3
  • Again, Dan, thanks very much for all this. I hope some more folks can benefit from this as well.