Congrats to HipStamp on APS partnership

edited August 2022 in Chatter 5 LikesVote Down
A "Well Done" to HS on the announced partnership with the APS store. I am a fan ( and longtime APS member) and it rewards diligence in trying to bring the best to the marketplace.
download

Comments

• 35 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited August 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Rene,

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the entire APS StampStore will become a new store on HipStamp. Interesting.
  • yes, thats what I read also. I will be at the APS general meeting next Saturday in Sacramento. I will post more after I see .
  • There are some pretty unhappy people posting on Stampworld's forum re: this. It would appear that, at least the ones who spoke up, they have very little regard for Hipstamp. I was a bit taken aback.
  • How did you access the forum? I only get this message:
    3FE7FD7C-FB5F-4AA3-B1AC-3B48D20BE1BF
  • My Apologies....It was Stamporama, not Stampworld. I was too damn lazy to double check which site I was referring to.
  • Scott,

That's what eBay used to say.
  • Don't think this is the same issue at all.
  • edited August 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    I read where there will be badges and filtering for APS dealers. I presume this means for listings from the APS Store.
    What about APS members who list directly to HipStamp? Will our stores be given APS badges and show up in filters for APS dealers?
  • Great question Ted. I do hope there is further clarity on this issue.

APS President Scott English has been addressing the announcement in general on the Stamp Community Forum. The thread is in the APS announcement section of the site.

Please note that there are a number of virulently anti HIP SCF members throwing out the usual arguments. Some positive things being written as well. Worth checking out even if some of the rhetoric is tough to take.

Bob

ps The SCF site is a great philatelic resource in general, and the moderators have done a fantastic job of consolidating disparate and valuable information into one go to site.
  • Not that my $40 a year wields much influence, but if “independent” APS dealers are excluded from APS badging and filtering, that relegation to me of second-class member status, would be a deal breaker, and I would end any further dealings with them.
  • Quick question- how does this benefit existing sellers on Hip Stamp that do not have APS affiliation? Or does it just mean more competition?
  • More eyes on the prizes. The APS members who will be searching the APS StampStore on HipStamp will be exposed to all the other stores on the HS platform as well instead of just the APS StampStore previously. In fact, the old APS StampStore was open to non-APS members...they just didn't get the APS discount on purchases. As I see and understand it, the only things that will change is that the APS StampStore will now just be another store in the HipStamp marketplace. As a side thought, my previous statement does beg the question...will APS members still receive their member discount on the new HS APS StampStore. Hmmmm.
  • George,

Interesting that many of the images did not show up. LoL
  • Their store is not live yet. I think it starts October 1st or something like that. Probably a test store for HS to use to work with APS on their agreements.
  • Wouldn't it be nice if they tested all the changes on things that impact the rest of us...
  • Thank you Greg. It may bring more eyes to all sellers.
  • edited August 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Posted by Foster Miller on the SCF while reporting on the APS meeting at GASS (yesterday):
    "New steps:

APS website upgrade - new target date is end of September

HipStamp partnership - lengthy discussion - but looks like a great deal for the APS - prevents a large expense by the APS to upgrade the StampStore software platform - many specifics still being finalized. Planned go live October 1. APS members will still receive discount. HipStamp will get 3 percent commission but will handle payments so that the APS will no longer have to pay 3 percent credit card fees - making it revenue neutral. Currently about 300 sellers and 2700 buyers on StampStore.

Online Philatelic Advisory Group

Stamp Marketplace"

• I made the mistake of clicking on the link Mr. DeKornfeld graciously provided.. now I am getting e-Mails from Hipstamp.. Is Umm al Qiwain #123testScott still of interest? TestListing-8/25/2022 11:30:03 AM
    $1,230,001.00
    Calculate Shipping

Seller: APS-StampStore (0)
    Thats a bit more thanI have in my current PayPal balance.
    I am a supporter of the APS it is the other 1/2 of the marrige that scares me.
  • If the post by Foster Miller is correct and APS is only paying a 3% commission for their 300 sellers, then why are longtime HipStamp sellers which have supplied the inventory totaling over 6 million stamps for HipStamp and helped make it a dominate selling site on the internet paying 8.95%? Nearly 3 times as much. Hipstamp doesn't handle payments for the rest of us. That is done by PayPal, so I question why they would do that for APS. Hopefully Mr. Miller's post is not accurate, otherwise I see many unhappy current HipStamp sellers in the future. I believe all sellers should pay the same fees.
  • Sorry 'bout that, Mr. Shilcrat (and its 'Dr.' DeKornfeld, to you LOL.....please just call me 'George'), but I had no such happen to me when I clicked the link (and I've checked it several times). That said, HipSomething follows me around just like Mouse does. Wherever I go, whatever website, there's Hip...
  • At the APS general meeting today , the big topic of Hipstamp was addressed . It’s all about numbers . The APS sale platform reaches about 2000+ folks per year while HS more than 100, 000. Exposure, sales and member exposures . The issue of bizarre , unscrupulous sellers came up and APS absolutely considers this a big issue with online platforms . But rest assured , the new partnership is being scrutinized carefully.
  • Rene,

Good I am glad they are scrutinizing it all. I know the APS is trying to save money and to get a bigger audience but if they can not figure it out they should just stay with the circuit books.
  • Remove those stupid test listings, for such a top society it is not a very good start.

• The seller is accepting offers on this listing! Make an offer before it's too late!
    You Recently Viewed

TestListing-8/24/2022 3:50:26 PM
    View Item
    i have just had a notification for this listing to boy or make an offer!!!!!!!
  • edited September 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    I have 1700 stamps for sale in the APS store. If I don't agree to this change, can my stamps be transferred to my own HipStamp store ? I am the owner, am I not ?
  • edited September 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Also, the main reason why I am a member of APS is to be able to sell stamps in their store. Why should I remain a member ? Can my stamps be transferred over to my Hip Stamp store ? I'll save $45 a year by resigning my APS membership.
  • @Michelle Cocchia

From what I understand, nothing changes with the APS except that it will sell on the HipStamp Platform. They do the scanning, list and shipping just like now. I'm assuming if you wanted to list the stamps yourself on HipStamp you are going to have to scan, list and ship the stamps yourself. You will also get a much larger audience on HipStamp than the APS site. I think it is a win/win.