New here.

Hi, new to the site. My father passed away in October. I inherited his collection. He was meticulous, which has been great for me. Everything in Lindner albums, everything catalogued in EZ Stamp. I never collected with him. However, unlike many, I would never get rid of anything my father cared about, especially his stamps. So my research over the last couple weeks has been eye opening to say the least. I have a ton of questions and stories to share, from the perspective of a very green collector. Would any of you be willing to answer some questions for me over the coming few weeks? I am thinking maybe a question every night or few nights. I wish I had sat with my father and these stamps and been able to ask him a lot of these questions. Would really appreciate any help I get. First question below.

Future stamp prices

My father had 10k of the 13k Scott #s shown in the USA file of ez stamp. It shows his buy price vs current value. Most stamps #1-1000 he took a major hit on. He did most of his damage in the late 80s to early 90s. What are prices like currently? Are they high or low today in your opinion? Are they heading up or down?

Bonus question. My father was part of every stamp society known to man. Which stamp society/club is a must and what ones are more just a nice way to support the cause? I joined APS because it felt right. Any others I should seriously consider?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited January 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Scott #1000, issued in 1951, had a catalogue value of $0.20 in 2009. It may have increased to $0.50, but U.S. stamps from 1951 are less than a dime a dozen in reality, especially when selling them to dealers. I've seriously collected U.S. stamps, but only up to 1925, like the flat-plate definitives(first image), although I couldn't resist collecting what I term the "Depression-era rotaries"(second image), born of the former, used of course, as mint examples would not do. Then, the definitives of 1890(third image) are worth a good bit, and in used condition. All within the following images are from my personal collection. I am particularly fond of Depression-era examples, as they remind me of those times when there's but only a two-thirds eaten jar of peanut butter in the pantry for supper...

set
    Rotary-press Depression-era
    1890 Small Banknotes
  • Alan, thank you for the reply. Beautiful stamps. My dad purchased every single, plate, booklet, fdc, and sheet from his local post office since 1964. Mostly no real value, but fun to look thru. He did make a ton of progress on pre depression stamps. That is what I will focus most of my energy on. Je had started a really nice mnh vf duck stamp collection. He had 20 or so missing. I am only missing the RW2 now. I have really enjoyed the peace I get sitting down and working on these stamps. Everything moves so fast in life, it has been a well needed change of pace.
  • Hi Charles,
    Welcome to the forums! You're in the right place.
    It is really touching to see an inherited collection bringing you closer to your father after his passing. (So sorry for your loss).
    The collection sounds very interesting, and from what you describe has a lot of promise. A couple of things:
    I understand the desire to know their value, but keep in mind as well, seek out the things that appeal to you. This will draw you further into the collection and bring to light aspects you may not even be aware of. (So much history in the stamp, and if it's a used stamp, may have even greater intrigue, with various fancy cancels, color cancels, or destinations).
    Also, with the type of collection you mention, I can't stress enough getting a US Scott Specialized Catalog. The information regarding current value (though sometimes leading/lagging) gives a frame of reference. You should also familiarize yourself with PSE's handbook on stamp grading, as this will really have the most dramatic affect on the stamp value. You can get a PDF of the book from their website here: http://psestamp.com/pdf/2009_GradingGuide_092009.pdf

This is crucial because the centering and preventability, especially of the early stamps (600 and below, though I've also seen some crazy prices for perfect centering (100) and large margin (100J) J = Jumbo, go for multiple over the "catalog value". To that point, PSE also provide a tool called SMQ (which stands for Stamp Market Quarterly), where they offer suggested prices based on auction sales, and are the only source for US stamp valuing in grades of J. It can be found at:
    https://gradingmatters.com/us.html
    Just enter the Scott # and it will show you the range of values based on grade (if they exist).
    It also has a population census and you can see how many known (expertized) copies of the various stamps exist.

It will be interesting as well to know if your father collected the varieties, and if not specifically, some of your stamps could still be a varietal which may be worth more (or less) than the major variety. Examples of these minor varieties might be the 573a, the popular 573 $5 stamp in carmine lake and dark blue, versus carmine and blue. These types of color variations have premiums (almost all Lake stamps in this era bring greater value).

Would love to see some scans/photos of your early pages. They sound great.
    Lastly, consider condition of the stamp very carefully when determining value. Even the tiniest of fault will mean that the value of the stamp versus catalogue value (which considers VF centering about 98% of the time) with no other faults (including tiny crease or tiny tear, any alterations, reperforations, etc.) These are all value killers.
  • edited January 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Charles, that's a fantastic way to honor and remember your dad. My condolences to you and your family, but your dad will live on with you in the hobby. My dad got me started in stamps and model railroading. I still do both. I think of him all the time (he passed away much too young in 1996), and am grateful for the joy he shared with me in my life-long hobbies.
  • Scott, thank you for the kind words and info. I have all of those books, its nice to know now why he had them on top of the 2021 Scott's Catalog. As far as values go, I was more interested in whether or not right now is a good time to buy. My father's want list is a little pricey. I can see current prices but I am wondering if prices are low right now, and in your guys professional opinion which way it is heading. If now is the time to buy I am going to get that want list taken care of. If things are heading lower or may be heading lower I could wait to buy some of them. I will never sell any of these and my son hopefully wont either when they become his. Really appreciate the links and info. That will help alot. I am hopefully going to be working on my stamps tonight. I will take some pictures of some of the good pages and upload them.
  • Michael, sorry for your loss too. My father was also too young, but I had more time with him then others I know. He was 67 years old. I thought I had plenty of time left with him, it didn't work out that way. Now I wish I had learned more about his collection. I have 10s of thousands of stamps and I would give my left arm to know which was his first stamp, which was his favorite, ect. It has definitely brought a little peace sitting down like he did when I was young and working on this. My son is much more interested then I was, which makes me very happy and very sad all at the same time. Thanks again for the kind words.