Making Sense of a Pile of Washingtons and Franklins

Last year I posted this topic and got some discussion including one comment from Michael Hynes which included a link as follows:
https://www.stampsmarter.org/features/SQL_Wash_Frank_ID.html. I have a simple question about using this tool: what do I do with all the W and F stamps that don't match up with any of the illustrations? For example stamps in the 1922-25 series. I'm guessing there must be no confusion with respect to these later stamps. Can anybody confirm that? Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited July 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    hahahahahahahaha I must be tired... for posterity (and a damn good laugh) my original post is below. For some reason, I thought 1922 seemed early in history. Having said that - John, what design would you be referring to? I think all the W-F designs that are a problem are covered by that page. I am going to put that tool to good use, maybe stop killing so many trees.

The videos mentions 1908-1922 so I think the spreadsheet is set up to only deal with these designs. However, it looks like a damn good idea. I made a form a while back that I print and fill out by hand to do the same thing. I may have to expand on this effort next time I get bored. It's funny, I keep my collection in a spreadsheet but never thought about this.
  • edited July 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    Don and John,
    Hahahahaha... I get to laugh too. So, in a swipe of great irony, I am technically the creator of that page. But the page is based on a very old version of an identification matrix that I put together around 2013, which Don Denman (the Stampsmarter site developer) used with permission. But he's using an SQL query against a data set (probably the original Excel file I sent him). It was part of a series of ID tools that Bill Weiss and I were building at the time. (Funny, if you go to stampsmarter and search for Payton in the search block, it comes back with about 6 links, one of which is the W-F matrix).

Now the real irony comes in that I was just updating this today (I've been busy, ok?) I think the version on the website is from around version 9 of the file, the one I have completed today is now at Version 27. I know Don's main intention back then was to make the tool available to anyone (because mine is Excel based, you have to have a copy of MS Excel to use it, BUT, it's pretty slick, and has visual references for all the 3c (4 types) and 2c (9 types) and how to ID them.)

If you're interested, email me (hope I'm not breaking any rules, I'm new here) at scottvpayton@hotmail.com and I'll send you a copy of the Excel file, and how to use it.

Now in general John, the Washington-Franklin "era" starts with Scott #331 and runs to Scott #547, with a few pesky Pan-Pacific Expo issues in there, and a couple other odd Lincoln and Seward's "Crimson" issues thrown in). So if you're into 1922, you are correct, they are not part of the Washington-Franklin's (as established by Paul Schmid ala The Expert's Book). The A155 and A157 are not part of the FW so if you are looking for them on that matrix, they don't exist.

I believe the only reference to 1923 and the FW's is the 532 which has an EKU on an off cover pair of 22 July 1920, but oddly EKU on cover is 12 Apr 1923.

I'm sure there are plenty of later usages of even earlier FW's on cover, but no new FW's exist past the 547.

While there is no "confusion" with the later stamps you are correct, but there is plenty of nit-pickery to be had with those issues as well. But that's for a different identifier.