misperf

Would anybody be able to give me a guideline on when a stamp (GB) is 'misperf' and when it isn't. I find it very difficult as some stamps with this description I would think are just the inaccuracy of the process in Victorian times.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This has always been my understanding of a misperforation - often known as a perforation shift. A misperf relates to any inappropriate puncturing of a stamp sheet, caused because the sheet is not properly aligned with the perforating equipment . It can result in the perforation holes disfiguring the design of a stamp. The impact on value depends on the severity of the shift, and as a general rule, the more dramatic the error, the more it will be worth. A stamp sheet may also be accidentally folded over before it’s passed through the perforating machine. The folded part will become inappropriately punctured which can affect one or more of the stamps in a sheet and causes the design to be either partially printed or leave a blank space.
  • Now we're getting there. Further to this - if, say, the next door stamp is in view to the extent of seeing the value, would that constitute 'misperf'? As I said some simply look like a slight slip on the printing table. All very difficult.
  • Now THAT'S a 'misperf'.