Help! New to Hipstamp and Seeking Guidance!

I just inherited a good amount of FDC's from Vietnam (like the image attached) and am struggling to find a guide on how Hipstamp works and more importantly, how to sell on Hipstamp. Could someone point me in the right direction on where I can find more info? I am very new to the stamp world and am still learning how it all works. It is a bit overwhelming.

Some random questions to start -

1) How do auction events work?

2) Is it better to list an item for buyers to bid on, to 'Add to Cart; immediately or both?

3) What is the best strategy for uploading different kinds of FDC? Should I upload them all at once or release them slowly?

4) What is the best way to package and ship items? Is there a calculator to help sellers determine shipping cost?

Stamp Front

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Grace, I saw nobody has responded yet to your questions so I'll dive in and try to help a bit. The first thing I would advise you to do is to read and understand the process of how to set up an account/store on HipStamp. They actually have pretty good guidance on their site for how to do it. You'll need a way to get paid for items when they sell so you should look into how to set up an account with PayPal as that is, for the most part, how most sellers are paid through HipStamp sales.

As far as auction items versus store items (i.e., those offered for sale at a set price), I think that is kind of 'to each their own" things. HipStamp does have a good description as to how both methods work but it's kind of up to you as to how you want to do it. Some sellers are almost exclusively auction, while others are almost exclusively store items, and others are a mix of both. You will find that every seller will likely believe that their own method is best for them.

Regarding how to upload items, in my case, I do it one at a time. I feel that I can better describe them as I list them (even though I screw up once in a while) if I am focused on that particular item. There is, however, a bulk lister option on HipStamp that will allow you create a .csv file with all the data for each item listed that you can upload in bulk to your store. I have used it occasionally but not that often.

Packaging and shipping...hmmmm...you might be well served to do a search on this forum for those two words. You will find a LOT of information from a variety of sellers regarding both of these concerns. As for me, I like to make sure that I package the items in such a way that will minimize the possibility of getting the item folded or creased by using a stiffener (piece of lightweight cardboard) and also minimize the risk of the item getting wet by either wrapping the item in cling wrap or, as I have started more recently, putting them inside a plastic envelope and taping it closed. Shipping is another can of worms. When I started out, I would offer to ship globally. I quickly discovered that that was not only a expensive proposition but time consuming as well. You will likely find a great deal of discussion on this topic, even recently, on this forum. You need to decide yourself what your time is worth along with shipping material costs and other variables.

I really wish there were easy answers to all your questions but there are so many variables that there is simple answer to any of them. But do not be discouraged by what I just said. Everyone started their store from scratch at some point and you will most certainly find that while the early learning curve may seem steep, it's really not that bad. It is just a learning experience and I will bet that you will "settle in the saddle" quite quickly once you dive in.

Best of luck to you on your endeavor!!! I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we look forward to seeing your new store up and running.

Greg
  • edited June 2021 4 LikesVote Down
    I would just add to Greg's very helpful comments that on this site there are very few FDCs that are sent to auction. Of the 1/4 million current listings that have FDC in their title then less than 200 are listed at auction. I have been listing FDCs here for more than 10 years and have not yet sent one to auction.
    I do use the bulk lister for 90% of my items, the other 10% need more exact definition as to condition and/or history and therefore it is easier to manually list them.
    A shoutout to Mark and the team on bulk lister in HipStamp!! For those of us that lived through the quirks of the bulk lister in BidStart days then this version is light years ahead in ease of use and infinitely more reliable
  • I am not very optimistic about great FDC sales using this platform. You may be better off finding a dealer who specializes in Vietnam or Indochina in general. Try visiting the Stamp Expos in Chicago or San Francisco this summer and you may find an easier market for disposal of these Estate items
  • This was all super helpful! Thank you everyone for your advice!
    In regards to shipping - When you ship domestically (within the U.S.) do you use certified/registered mailing or do you just use Forever stamps? If you use certified or registered, where do you get the pricing from (besides physically going into the post office)?
  • It all depends on the value of the order. In my case, less expensive ones simply go 1st class letter rate (forever stamps), whereas more valuable ones go via certified (I avoid registered as those pieces of mail, imo, scream 'steal me'). I have a carrier that comes to my door often, so I just have a pad of certified labels and affix them as needed. They're flat rate by the ounce (off hand I don't recall the exact price, but its around $4.20 plus a 1st class postage stamp, give or take). You may need to go to the PO to mail your certified, but having a pad at home allows you to get the piece ready and saves time at the PO.
  • Hi Grace. I mainly deal in Great Britain First Day covers and as Rene Bravo states sales of FDC's on this site are - in my experience - not as good as stamps sales. I also sell on eBay and sell 95% more FDC's than on Hipstamp. Saying that I get more repeat orders on this site.

I have done a quick check on the cover in your photo and there are a few for sale on the other site listed at between £6 and £21 (and one on Hipstamp at $25) HOWEVER non have sold which would suggest they are grossly overpriced? Also Viet-Nam may not be as popular as some other countries?

As 3 of your covers should by weight be suitable for letter post in a cardboard backed envelope than I might try listing a few at auction in lots of 3 FDC's with a low start price of say £4.99 + postage and test the market? However they may just sell for that starting price or not at all. Hopefully they will do well - but you can never tell. Good luck.
  • Thank you George for the shipping tips, it was very helpful! I will look into getting a pad of certified labels and be sure to avoid registered as well!

Tania, Thank you for your advice! I will definitely list it on ebay and will also try to sell in lots! Typically, how fast do your FDC's sell after you first list?