Values for Postal Stationery First Day Covers with Cachets

Scott gives a catalog value for first day of issue on postal stationery without cachets. Is there a source somewhere for values of postal stationery FDCs with cachets?

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The value is going to depend on the cachet maker. Your best source of pricing information would be to search hipstamps by postal stationary number.
    You will find that generally Artcraft, Artmaster and the more common cachets are listed for a bit more (not much more) than the ones without a cachet and the better ones are in the $2.00 to $10 and up range ({though few and far between). I can truthfully say that I have never been able to sell one without a cachet, either at shows or online. I put a stack of 20 on my show table at $1.00 for the lot and it just sat there through several shows.
    But as to your question - it's easiest and quickest to just search here at hipstamps.
    Hope that helps
  • Thanks Carol, Yes, I find that this is often the case. I have sold a few postal cards with FDC cancellations without cachets. Very few.
  • Remember too Wayne.. Better if not addressed.
  • Mr. Buza:
    For what it is worth, the old Scott's/Mellone FDC Catalogs listed prices of U.S. Postal Stationery for both cacheted and uncacheted items. Keep in mind, this information is certainly outdated.
    I would suggest you check and see what the major sellers have available and that should get you into the ballpark.
    Respectfully submitted:
    jrc
  • I search http://www.jamesmccusker.com/. There have been very few cachet makers for the issue that I could not find.
  • Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
  • Just thought I would jump in here for conversation sake. I'm a collector and not a dealer or seller. For me the price I am willing to pay for a FDC depend on three things: the stamp, the cache, and the postmark. If they are all related I am willing to pay more. If the stamp and cache match and the postmark is just a general issue postmark, I will not pay as much. If the cache and stamp are not connected in any way I'm usually not interested. But for me, especially on a little bit older FDCs, being postally used is often worth more to me than a non-addressed item.

One exception is this FDC of the Jim Thorpe stamp which I purchased that featured the picture of King Gustav V of Sweden as the cache. I wanted it because of the cache of the king who opened the 1912 Olympics in which Jim Thorpe won his gold medals. I then purchased several Swedish stamps commemorating the king from the same time period to round out my page.

King Gustav V_sm
    Later I bought an FDC cover of Jim Thorpe to accompany the block of Jim Thorpe stamps I had. On that one the address didn't matter.

Jim Thorpe_sm

John
  • Very nice, John. The idea of the king as the cachet was an interesting idea.
  • Yea, I had no idea who created it, but I liked it. I bid on it on ebay and obviously won the auction.
  • The King Gustav cachet was created by Lorraine Bailey, a long-time cachetmaker in the Washington DC area.
  • Back to Mr. Buza's initial query about the value of cacheted Postal Stationery items . . .

. . . here's one that has a value of FREE, since it will be given out gratis to all the attendees of our First Day Cover Club's Spring party tomorrow!!

Cacheted Postal Stationery
  • edited March 2017 1 LikesVote Down
    Dave, thank you so much for the information about the King Gustav cache. This is one of the reasons I enjoy these forums so much! What I don't know, which is much, someone more knowledgeable knows! I love learning new stuff!

Judging from your name on the forum and the signature on the cute little cache above, you must also be a cache maker. Nice work!

John
  • Dave is our cachet aficionado! He does wonderful artwork. Check out his auctions, lots of members try to be the proud owner of one of his covers. And if you are up early on Sunday mornings, catch the Disney Racers. He drew some of the characters. Very talented he is.
  • And so humble too! I see those blushes!