Regrets

There are not many regrets in my collection. But I have to admit that the ones I still want are in short supply. This makes the chase more fun. But it also introduces regret when one gets away. There was a US#137 up for auction a few weeks ago. It sold for $500. Money I did not have at the time. And a stamp that was not really on my radar. It should have been. The only other option is a bit more at the moment.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • One of my favorites (though for that design, I am partial to the reengraved 208a). I'm missing the 137A. Would love to get my hands on that one.

• I regret not listening to my local dealer fifty years ago when he told me
    to spend my budget on the single best stamp I could afford, instead of a bunch of cheap stamps.

Isn't there supposed to be a prize for filling up all those little windows?
  • Hahahaha. That's interesting advice, but might go against what keeps collectors collecting.
  • At the time my dealer was giving me that advice,
    he tried to sell me a stampless cover of a letter signed by General Sherman.
    It was only about fifty bucks in todays money.

Every time I see those Ken Burns History programs on PBS,
    I'm reminded that I regret letting that one getting away.
  • I have a moment like that... where I sold an RU4u for $300 and then the NEXT Scott Catalog (about 4 months later) came out, and they increased the value to $1,750. That sucked.