Another example of fraudulent activity on Hipstamp

Fraudulent 544

Hipstamp not only allows fraudulent activity but actively promotes it. I received an e-mail promoting a listing for US #544, inviting me to "name my price." The listing values the stamp at $1800 (catalog value is around $4000) and declares the stamp to be a used US #544 with very nice color. US #544 is a rare "coil waste" stamp and requires a certificate of authenticity to have credible value. The stamp in question has none. US 544 has very specific dimensions: 19 x 22.5 mm, which distinguishes it from both the flat plate #498 and the rotary press #545 (19.5 x 20-22 mm) stamps having the same perf 11. Although you cannot measure a stamp without having it in your physical presence, the aspect ratio of a stamp can be measured from a scan and then compared to the various known ratios for the alternative stamps. US 544 should have an aspect ratio of .844. Flat plate stamps have have ratios around .848-.853; the rotary press 545 will have a ratio of .886 or higher. The stamp being sold here has a width to height ratio of .849 indicating it is not #544. Another distinguishing feature that differentiates 544 from 498 is that there is usually ink bleeding visible on the back of the stamp of flat plate stamps, but this listing does not include a backside scan for inspection. The dealer offering this item has zero feedbacks. He/she may have created the account expressly for this fraudulent listing. Nevertheless, the Hipstamp administration has the audacity to suggest I make an offer on this likely worthless and clearly undocumented expensive stamp. This is the kind of buyer mistreatment by Hipstamp that is gradually driving me away from the site.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Alvin. I get what you are saying. But you clearly have the knowledge to avoid traps like this. For me it is as easy as “it it seams too good to be true” but the point is we avoid these. Not sure how this mistreating yo. this site does a huge volume. They can’t vet everything. If you report it they will act.
  • I have reported it as well as other fraudulent listings in the past. I've reported listings to dealers as well as the administration. If the item is up for auction, the auction continues to completion. In the instance described in this post, the Hipstamp administration is actively promoting the item. They ARE acting but in a manner that facilitates fraudulent listings rather than preventing them. As for avoiding the traps on my own, I have enough knowledge to know that I can avoid MOST of the deceptive listings but also enough to know that ANYONE, including myself, can be victimized by a clever enough con. The ultimate question for me is whether the only way to avoid being scammed by this site is to avoid the site altogether. I might add that one of the fraudulent listings I described in a previous post was an item marketed by this site's CEO and it continued unchanged to the close of the auction, even after I informed the seller about the unreasonableness of the listing. So, we have a bit of the fox guarding the hen house situation here.
  • Also, the Scott catalogues highlight particular stamps, including #544, that are especially likely to be forged or fraudulently listed, typically because they differ in only a small and obscure way from a much more common stamp or can be imitated by clipping perfs, reperfing, or with manipulation of scans. The Hipstamp administration may not be able to vet ALL listings but they should at least be paying attention to listings for the relatively small number of expensive stamps known to be frequently subject to fraudulent sales efforts. They don't.
  • Any stamp like this should have a cert with it, especially if it's going to be featured, or even accepted as a listing.
    What's worse is this seller has a (0) feedback rating, which means they've never bought nor sold on the site. It usually gets knocked out pretty quickly by the Hip fraud and safety group... let me ping and see if we can get this removed. It's bad for the site.
  • Worse, is there is no back image of the stamp, which I'm certain if there was would prove that it's flat plate printed. How a stamp of this type can be listed for sale on the site with not only 0 provenance, but also without the simplest of identification means is beyond me. There is a "policy" that back scans be included in some cases, but in my view, anything that is at least possible to be something else, MUST have back scan.

As for Hip promoting it, I suspect it's just a rando algorithm that has plucked this "high value stamp" out for inclusion in their site banner adds. Probably they should reconsider how this actually works.
  • edited March 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    But wait! If you buy one now, we'll throw in two more with free shipping!!!!! And first day covers to boot! What a deal! Buy it now (so we can retire).

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/stamponit (No certs)

• So glad I have you folks to watch out for me!
    If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
    All seriousness, thank you for posting stuff like this, I learn from it. I really only know enough to get into trouble.
  • Greg

I questioned HipStamp concerning the stamps you referenced several days ago. They advised me they would look into it. I just received back a notice from their Trust & Safety department advising the ticket was closed and they hoped my question was resolved. They said I could respond to their message if I needed any additional help. Apparently they feel good about the listings as they are still up. I'm not planning on buying either one, so I won't respond.
  • edited April 2022 2 LikesVote Down
    John.. this is the exact same BS i received when complaining to them. a form letter reply. NO they do not take care of things on this site. and the name "trust and Safety " is a joke. This was even after Mark was well aware of the situation. its acting like this that will eventually destroy this site and it will fade away. turning ones head away from fraud and seller blatant customer abuse will eventually cause people to never return. sellers and buyers. Claiming they have Trust and safety team on it is total BS. For Me the FAKE feedback was the last straw as a seller. Prices are beyond insane on the site and often 100x normal here in the areas i buy. Caveat Emptor covers the situation well.
  • Just to put closure on this particular case, the listing in question for US# 544 is no longer up on the site. There are 3-4 other listings for #544 by reputable sellers and all of them appear to me to be accurate representations, most with certificates of authenticity and all also with an aspect ratio indicative of #544. I received no response to my original query from Customer Service, however, other than the initial form letter, but I am glad to see that the deceptive listing was removed by one means or another.
  • They have removed 2 of the 4 544's that I reported (this being one of them). Still waiting on them to make a move on the other two.