Store on Vacation - Round Rock, TEXAS

Folks, this evening my neighborhood was hit by a tornado. I am fine. The tornado missed my house by about 50 feet. There is, of course a mess in the neighborhood. I have put my store on vacation mode for the rest of the month as the neighbors have already started helping each other to clean up. A block away from me homes were destroyed. It was that close.

Any orders still needing processing, please be patient and give me a little time to get to them. I obviously have more important things to do for at least a few days.

Thank you,
Michael - the Online Stamp Shop

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Didn't know you were in RR. I'm in Katy. Waiting for our turn tonight. All our best to you and yours and your neighbors. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help and glad you are ok.
  • Michael, glad to hear you are OK. Hope your house wasn't damaged at all, but being that close to the tornado can still be rough on nearby houses. My parents went through something similar in the '80s. The school was on the far side of the playground from my parents home. The school and a few nearby homes were destroyed, but Mom and Dad had only minor damage and most of their immediate neighbors had none at all. Hope this is the last time your neighborhood experiences something like this!

Tom
  • Greg, my brother-in-law lives in Katy. He called me when he saw my situation on the news. He said no bad weather yet. I hope it bypasses you out there.

Thomas, this is the second one to visit me here. The first tore a hole in the roof.
  • Michael, glad to hear you are okay. Stay well and be careful while helping to clean up.
  • Yikes!! Glad you and your family weren't hurt!

Like Luree says - be careful with the work of cleaning up!

Stay well!
  • It's only my little dog and me in the house. Someone told me my wife in Heaven was watching out for me.
  • Of course she was! I wouldn't expect anything different. What about your son? Is he okay, too?
  • Glad you're safe! And the little dog, too!
  • Michael, I'm glad everything is okay with you. Up here in Fort Worth we didn't get anything worse than a little rain. Let's hope the worst has passed.
  • My sons were not in the storm path.
  • Michael,

I know what you have to go through. Up here in lower Wisconsin we get a few very year or two but generally not to bad.
    Nothing like a Texas twister.
  • Praying for our friends in the NOLA area with that tornado there tonight! And for all around here picking up the pieces from our share of the mess.
  • Michael -- I'm behind on reading any of the boards, and just saw your post. I am so sorry about the all the destruction around you. Offering you the best of luck in helping your neighborhood and the community.

(I grew up in tornado country -- have seen them come right down the street, missing us but wiping out a neighbor's house just a couple of doors down. Also, had an aunt's hit a few years ago where it tore up the rooms in the front of the house but no damage, not even a paper shifting, in any rooms further back. The sudden stop in the destruction is almost surreal.)
  • edited March 2022 3 LikesVote Down
    Phil, you're right about tornadoes being surreal. You never know with them, but you know when one is coming. You never forget that sound.

This was the 3rd tornado I have been in. Two other tornadoes in the past were near where I was, but I was luckily never in danger from them. This was the second tornado at my house. My house sustained minor damage (considerably less than the first one) that I can repair myself. So many other homes were destroyed. I still had my late wife's clothes. I never got around to disposing them. Today, I donated them to the relief efforts. I have gone through my house, and gathered up a couple of bins of merchandise needed by those who lost everything. I will donate that tomorrow. I will go through my house again as I know I have more items needed by my neighbors. This is doubly emotional for me, as much of this was my late wife's, but I know that if she were alive, that she would be doing the same thing.

The roads are open now. Driving through my neighborhood, I see neighbors walking about trying to get things back together. You can see it in their faces, especially their eyes, that they haven't made sense of it yet. Repairs are underway for most. For some, it's a matter of safely going into what was left of their home, if they can, and getting out their belongings before what was their home is demolished and trucked away to the landfill.